Soal Try Out Kelas 6 SD BAHASA INGGRIS TA 2009/2010


Listening section
In this section of the test, you will have the chance to show how well you understand spoken English. There are four parts to this section with special directions for each part.

Part I
Questions 1 to 5
Directions:

In this part of the test, you will hear some dialogues or questions spoken in English. The dialogues or questions will be spoken two’ times. They will not be printed in your test book, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say. After you hear a dialogue and the question about it, read the five possible-, answers in your test book and decide which one would be the best answer to the question you’ve heard. Now listen to a sample question
You will hear :
Man : How about exercising tomorrow morning?
Woman : Alright. Pick me up at six
You’ll also hear:
Narrator : What will the man do?
You will read in your test book:
a. Do exercise at 6
b. Go with six women
c. Take exercise alone
d. Leave the woman alone
e. Come to the woman’s house
The best answer to the questions is “Come to the woman’s house”.
Therefore, you should choose answer E
1. Two friends are at the market.
The man : Wow! The fish are very fresh!
The woman : Yeah, you’re right. They look very delicious. How much are they?
The man : Well, they are Rp 45.000,00 per kilogram.
Who is he?
a. He is a doctor
b. He is a fisherman
c. He is a teacher
d. He is a gymnast
e. He is a butcher
2. A group of businessmen are discussing about the decision that they should make.
Director : Well, gentlemen. I think this is the choice that we have.
Manager : I agree with you. It seems a good choice
Director : Well, I’m not sure about your decision. There are many things that we’ve overlooked
What are they talking about?
a. Making a decision.
b. Making a dialogue
c. Making a presentation.
d. Making a plan.
e. Making an appointment.
3. A boy is complaining to his mother about his new bedroom.
Son : Hey, Mom. I don’t like the wall paper in my room
Mother: What’s the matter?
Son : I don’t like the red color you’ve chosen. It makes dark for me to study there now
Mother: I’m so sorry dear. Okay, I’m going to change the wall paper color into light blue
Son : It sounds good. Thanks mom.
Why doesn’t the son like the red wall paper color?
a. Because it’s not his favorite color
b. Because he feels unhappy with the mom’s suggestion
c. Because he feels uncomfortable studying inside his room
d. Because he wants to change the wall paper into the red painting
e. Because he thinks that red color is strange
4. The two students are discussing about people in the school canteen.
Linda : Ehm, It’s very delicious cake! By the way, have you known my star?
Maman : I haven’t known him yet. Could you tell me what he looks like?
Linda : There he is on TV!
Maman : Are you kidding me? The big guy over there?! I bet the weight is about 90 kg.
Linda : You’re right. He’s very funny. I like him. You must be curious to see him soon. Don’t you know that He is an actor too. He is very popular and plays in many movies.
What is the appropriate picture based on Linda’s explanation?
a. b
c. d e.
5. This animal belongs to primate mammal. Darwin even said that it had been our ancestors. It feeds on seeds, fruits and vegetables, especially bananas. It likes to move from one tree to another trees.
Which picture is related to the text?
a.
b.
c.
d.
e.

Part II
Questions 6 to 10
Directions:
In this part of the test, you will hear a statement or questions spoken in English, followed by four responses, also spoken in English. The statement or question and the responses will be spoken two times. They will not be printed in your test book, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say. You have to choose the best response to each statement or question.
Now listen to a sample question
You will hear :
Woman : Good morning, John. How are you?
Man : …
You’ll also hear:
Narrator : What will the man do?
You will read in your test book:
a. I am fine, thank you.
b. I am in the living room.
c. Let me introduce my self.
d. My name is John Travolta
6. Sinta : Why did you look so pale, Bony? Is anything wrong?
Bony : I was hospitalized two days ago. However, I should go home earlier because I can’t afford to pay the hospital fee
Sinta :….
What will the woman say?
a. I see
b. Be careful
c. Don’t be sad. Everything is under control
d. I’m so sorry to hear that
e. That’s a pity. I think you should lend some money from the bank
7. The factory workers are talking during the break time
FW1: Jane, don’t you like Mr. John? You’re always fighting with him
FW2: …..
What is the correct response to complete the dialogue?
a. I detest the man honestly. He always ridiculous the assistant’s mistake
b. I like spending the time with him
c. He is very funny boss. He is my favorite boss
d. I adore his attitude
e. What a pity I am. I spent the rest of my holiday with him
8. Man: would you like to accompany me watching the concert tonight?
Woman: ….
a. I don’t like watching a concert. It’s better for me to sleep earlier tonight.
b. My company will fire all the workers
c. She is teaching us English
d. I’d love the concert
e. I’ll watch the football game tonight.
9. Two strangers are sitting next to each other on a bus.
S1: excuse me, but I’m a little warm. Is it O.K. if I open the window?
What is an appropriate response of the second man?
a. Sure, go ahead
b. My window is broken
c. The weather is not warm now.
d. Her grandmother is a widow
e. I’m happy to hear that
10. Hotel manager: Morning, Can I help you Sir? Is there any complaint?
Guest : …
The best response shows dissatisfaction is…
a. I suggest you to enlarge this hotel
b. I’m satisfy with the service of this hotel
c. I’m dissatisfy with the service of this hotel
d. It’s very kind of you
e. I’m proud of you.

Part III
Questions 11 to 15
Directions:

In this part of the test, you will hear several monologues. Each monologues will be spoken two’ times. They will not be printed in your test book, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say.
After you hear a monologue and the question about it, read the five possible-, answers and decide which one would be the best answer to the question you’ve heard.
The following text is for questions 11 – 13
I think my first memories started when I was about three or perhaps four years old. I remember falling from a tree and breaking my arms. I think I was playing in the garden of the big, old house we lived in. It was in a suburb of Semarang. I can also remember starting school when I was five. There was a little boy called Thomas in the same class. He used to pull my hair when the teacher was not looking. One day I hit him on the head with a book and he began to cry. The teacher was very angry with me. I remember him saying, “Little girls don’t do thing like that” But Thomas never pulled my hair again.
11. What does the text tell us about?
a. the writers life
b. the writer’s teacher
c. the writer’s big, old house
d. the writer’s memories
e. the writer’s friend, Thomas
12. How old the writer when she started studying in school?
a. 3 years old
b. 4 years old
c. 5 years old
d. 6 years old
e. 7 years old.
13. Thomas never pulled the writer’s hair again because…
a. he was afraid of the writer
b. he was afraid of the teacher
c. he moved to another school
d. the writer was bigger than he was.
e. the teacher was angry with the writer.

The following text is for questions 14 – 15
Cameroon is a West African country of ten million people, which has been very successful in growing food for its people, unlike many other West African countries. Since 1971, it has doubled its output of major foodstuffs such as maize and potatoes. Now it is one of the few African countries able to feed itself. This was not the case five years ago when the country was only 75 – 80 % self-sufficient in food. Although isolated pockets of hunger still remain, the World Bank nowadays gives Cameroon money to sustain, not to achieve, self-sufficiency in food production.
14. The text tells us about…
a. West African countries
b. Cameroon’s ability to feed its people
c. Major foodstuffs in West Africa
d. Cameroon’s food production
e. food self-sufficiency
15. What percentage of Cameroon’s population who suffer from hunger five years ago?
a. 55 – 60 %
b. 65 – 70 %
c 75 – 80 %
d. 85 – 90 %
e. 95 – 100 %

This is the end of listening section
Text 1 is for questions 16 to 18.
ANNOUNCEMENT
If you are unable to work because of an extended illness or injury that is not work-related, you may be entitled to receive weekly benefits from your employer or the firm’s insurance company.
• To claim benefits, you must file a claim form within thirty days of the first day of your absence from work.
• Before filling the claim, you must ask your doctor to fill in the doctor’s statement on the claim form, stating the period of absence.
16. What is the text about?
A. Insurance company
B. Job vacancy
C. Insurance claim
D. Work injury
E. Sick workers
17. When must the claim form be filed?
A. Within 30 days of the start of disability
B. On the thirtieth of the month.
C. On the last day of his absence.
D. On the first day of disability.
E. On the first of the month.
This text is for questions 18 to 19
18. What does the text mainly tell us?
A. Travelling
B. Bus agent
C. Ticket price
D. Complaint
E. Compliment
19. Which statement is NOT TRUE about Adelaide?
A. Adelaide reserved the bus ticket at a bus agent
B. The bus took Adelaide to Solo
C. Adelaide did not enjoy the trip very much
D. Adelaide got to the bus station in the afternoon
E. The bus was equipped with air conditioners

This text is for questions 20 to 22
I’m so excited. Finally, I got anything I’ve been dreaming of, but It was not so easy to get it. Let’s look back to my past. I was born thirty-two years ago. I was born in a small village. When I was a child, I was so naughty but so smart according to my mother. I got the second rank when I finished my elementary school, and in high school I got the first rank, thus I won the scholarship. I was so glad and my parents were very proud of me. Then I went to one of the best State Universities in Bandung. I took the teacher training and education program. I majored in English. I studied at the university for four years. There, I used to be the best in all of subjects I took. In addition, guess!, I got the first rank from the first semester till the last semester ! I won the scholarship for the third time. I was active at student organizations, and in many activities, such as discussion, seminars, training, etc. I just began to learn computer program after I graduated from the university. Did you know that I worked part time at a computer company while I was studying at the university ? It was very hard actually.
20. The text is mainly about the writer’s ….
A. hard childhood
B. background of study
C. working experience
D. past activities
E. difficult life
21. Which statement is not correct based on the text?
a. The writer always got the first rank in every grade.
b. The writer won the scholarship when he was in high school.
c. The writer took the teacher training and education program.
d. The writer was active in discussion, seminars, training etc.
e. The writer was an activist.
22. …I got anything I’ve been dreaming of….
The underlined word has similar meaning with ….
a. enjoying
b. needing
c. searching
d. looking for
e. wanting

This text is for questions 23 to 26
Tokyo is one of the world’s biggest and most crowded cities. So many people ride on its subway trains that the city employs “people pushers.” These white-gloved workers push passengers into crowded subway cars so the doors can close! This is Tokyo, the capital of Japan.
The streets of Tokyo are packed with cars, streetcars, buses, taxis, motorcycles, and bicycles. All this traffic overwhelms the roads in and around Tokyo. Many of the city’s streets are narrow and crooked. It’s so crowded that Tokyo residents must prove that they have an off-street parking spot in order to own a car!
Most people in Tokyo use mass transportation. Every day, millions of people ride Tokyo’s rail and subway lines. Fast trains, called bullet trains, connect Tokyo with Osaka and other major Japanese cities.
23. What is the text about?
A. Tokyo’s trains
B. People in Tokyo
C. The city of Tokyo
D. The life in Tokyo
E. Tokyo’s transportation
24. Most people in Tokyo use mass transportation. (par. 3).
What does the underlined word mean?
A. Public
B. Cheap
C. Great
D. Many
E. Government
25. Which one is true based on the text?
A. Most people in Tokyo go to work by their own vehicle
B. White-gloved workers prefer to travel by train
C. People IN Tokyo usually park their cars on the street
D. The streets in Tokyo are wide and smooth
E. Mass transportation is a favorite means of transportation in Tokyo
26. … must prove that they have an off-street parking spot …. (par. 2).
What does the underlined word refer to?
A. streets
B. cars
C. taxis
D. residents
E. trains

This text is for questions 27 to 30
The Rabbit and The Wolf
One day when a rabbit was walking in the forest, he heard someone crying out, “Help! Help! Help me, please!” He looked around and finally he saw a wolf. A great stone had fallen on his back, so he couldn’t get up. The wolf asked the rabbit’s help and he said he would die if nobody helped him.
The rabbit worked very hard and finally he managed to get the big stone off the wolf’s back. However, instead of saying thank you, the wolf jumped up and caught the rabbit in this mouth. The rabbit cried and asked for the mercy but the wolf insisted on killing him for his meal.
Then the rabbit said, “No good person kills someone who has helped him. It is not fair. You can ask the duck, who is very fat and knows everything.”
Therefore both of them went to the duck. He listened to their story and he said, “Show me the stone I want to know how the story happened.” Then, they all together went to the stone.”
“Now, let me be sure about this, said the duck. “ Put the stone on the wolf’ back exactly as it was when you found him. “So the wolf lay down and with much effort the rabbit put the stone on his back again.
“Well, what do you think?” the wolf asked the duck. The duck thought for a moment. Then he said, “I think you were wrong to be cruel to the rabbit, who had helped you. Now wait and see until someone else will help you!” And the duck and rabbit left the wolf in the sorry state in which the rabbit had come upon him. They laughed at the wolf although he asked for help. “Help! Help! Help me, please!”
27. What is the text about?
A. A forest life
B. Wild animals
C. The rabbit and the wolf
D. Food chain in ecosystem
E. How the wolf was trapped
28. The rabbit cried and asked for the mercy …. (par. 2). What does the underlined word mean? C
A. time
B. reason
C. kindness
D. sorry
E. sadness
29. What did the rabbit do to the wolf?
A. He wanted to eat the wolf
B. He lifted the stone on the wolf’s tail
C. He forgave the wolf
D. He helped the wolf meet the duck
E. He trapped the wolf in the forest
30. What do we learn from the text?
A. We must thank the favor done for us
B. We need to lift the stones on the street
C. Don’t ever help a wolf
D. Go to a wise duck for an advice
E. Run away when we meet a wolf

This text is for questions 31 to 34
Readers do you know Anorexia and Bulimia?
Literally, the words of “Anorexia Nervosa” mean “nervous loss of appetite”. However, in reality anorexics do feel hunger pains, at times severe ones, but their compulsive fear of gaining weight stops from eating.
Anorexia is psychosomatic illness. It means that ones suffer from symptom of psychological problem. Teens with this disease starve themselves under the distorted belief that they need to lose weight. Some of the deeper psychological problems behind anorexia include depression, feeling a loss of control over life and an intense fear of entering adulthood. In severe cases, the anorexics will develop fluffy, white hair on her arms, face and back, and her menstrual periods will stop.
Bulimia is characterized by the binge/purge syndrome. Binging is eating large amounts
of food in a short amount of time. Some bulimics consume up to 20,000 calories in one sitting the equivalent of over twenty, 10 inch pepperoni pizzas. Purging is the method used to get rid of the food just eaten. Bulimics purge by causing themselves to vomit, abusing laxatives and diuretics, fasting or compulsive and excessive exercising.
Bulimia is also a psychosomatic illness indicating psychological problems such as self-esteem, an inability to express emotion or difficult dealing with responsibility and growing up. Many bulimics remember their symptoms beginning after home for the first time or breaking up with their boyfriend, pointing to problems handling independence.
According to a recent national poll, about one teen in every four claims to personally know someone with the symptoms of bulimics are of normal weight and because they often hide their behaviour from others, this illness often goes undiscovered for several years. The physical effects of bulimia can include kidney failure, menstrual irregularity, swollen salivary glands, muscle cramps, an irregular hear beat, internal bleeding from the tearing of the esophagus caused by excessive as well as destruction of the teeth and gums.
31. What does the text tell us about?
A. Psychosomatic illness is caused by of psychological problems which influence one’s way of eating.
B. Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia sufferers lose their desire for food.
C. Bulimia sufferers grow thinner and thinner but Anorexia sufferers have normal weight.
D. Usually the sufferers of Bulimia and Anorexia are teenagers who have good self confidence.
E. Both Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia are psychosomatic illnesses which are difficult to discover.
32. What do Anorexia sufferers do?
A. They find difficulties to eat because they lose their appetite.
B. They don’t have any desire for food
C. They eat a lot when they are hungry.
D. They try to control their emotions by eating less.
E. They avoid eating because they are afraid of being fat.
33. What is the purpose of the writer?
A. To describe the way Anorexia and Bulimia sufferers are
B. To explain Psychosomatic illness is
C. To present at least two points of view about an Anorexia
D. To persuade the readers on Bulimia sufferers
E. To entertain the readers on both Anorexia and Bulimia
34. What is Bulimia characterized by?
A. Muscle cramps, an irregular hear beat
B. Destruction of the teeth and gums
C. Breaking up with their boyfriend
D. nervous loss of the appetite
E. The binge/purge syndrome

This text is for questions 35 to 38
As we are in the 21st century, we are concentrating on a single, unified world. Developed countries as well as developing countries are all striving to give up protectionism and open their door for free trade. They are concentrating on reducing trade barrier that exist today. In my opinion, this condition will be advantageous for developing countries. First free trade increases competition which in turn reduces the prices of goods and decreases inflation. Because of free trade, countries are now able to import goods freely.
Domestic companies now have to compete with foreign companies and are therefore forced to reduce their cost of production and to achieve economies of scale. Besides, free trade helps developing between the developing countries and the developed countries. Earlier there were certain restriction or barriers for importing goods to developed countries. But with more emphasis being put on free trade, the import quota or tariffs have been reduced or eliminated. This has encouraged developing countries to focus on these areas in which they have comparative advantage and export their goods to other countries.Moreover free trade helps developing countries reduce inflation. In short and most important of all, free trade helps build better relation which is important for globalization.
Therefore, free trade is advantageous for developing countries.
35. The text is mainly about…..
A. importing countries.
B. developing countries
C. domestic companies.
D. free trade
E. trade barrier
36. Which one of the following statement is TRUE?
a. There are some points to be discussed
b. There are three arguments in the text
c. Free trade can support developing and developed countries.
d. All countries support free trade, they will be able to import goods freely.
e. Free trade decrease competition which increase the priceof goods.
37. What is the difference between free trade and conventional one?
a. There is no tax to import goods in conventional trade.
b. Countries can import goods freely in free trade.
c. There is no quota limitation in conventional trade
d. Conventional trade helps countries reduce inflation.
e. Developing countries can get advantages by conventional trade.
38. What is the communicative purpose of the text?
a. To criticize that free trade is not a good way to solve economic problems.
b. To explaine the readers why developing countries should support free trade.
c. To persuade the readers that free trade should not be applied.
d. To inform the readers about the advantages of free trade.
e. To persuade the reader to agree with free trade.

This text is for questions 39 to 42
Longing for a movie that makes the whole family feel good? Disney Movie is back with the movie that for sure will be loved by everyone. Baverly Hill Cihuahua, dirrected by Raja Gosnell.
It is a story about a Cihuahua (a small breed dog) named Chloe (voiced by Drew Barrymore) living with Viv (Jamie Lee Curtis), a cosmetic tycoon in Baverly Hill. Viv pampers Chloe with fine meals, fur styling sessions, and a diamond necklace. But there is another Cihuahu living there who belong to Viv’s handsome and talented young gerdener, Sam. Actually, Sam’s Cihuahua has a big crush on Chloe, but she ignores him since his owner is not as rich as her mistress Viv. Everything is fine until Viv has to go on a sales trip to Europe and has to leave her niece Rachel (Piper Perabo) in charge for Chloe. When Rachel’s friends ask her to join them on a trip to Mexico, Rachel agrees and take Chloe along with her. But when the girls go partying, Chloe decides to leave the hotel. And here the adventure begins : Pampered Chloe finds herself lost on the sreet of Mexico without a say spa or boutique anywhere nearby. Being in a place that she is not familiar with, alone for the first time in her live, and away of the dangers that may happen. Chloe is kidnapped by dog fighters.
How does Chloe her own life? Can she go back to her luxirious life? Find the answers in this movie.
39. What does the text tell us about?
a. A rich mistreess.
b. A trip to Europe.
c. Dog fighters
d. A lost dog
e. A wild dog
40. The followings are people involved in the production of the movie, EXCEPT ….
a. Rachel.
b. Piper Perabo.
c. Raja Gosnell.
d. Jamie Lee Curtis.
e. Drew Barrymore.
41. “… but she ignores him since his owner is not as rich as her mistress Viv” ( Par. 2 ).
What does the underlined word means?
a. Discriminates.
b. Disapproves.
c. Disappears.
d. Disregards.
e. Dislikes.
42. “… but she ignores him since his owner is not as rich as her mistress Viv” ( Par. 2 ).
What does the underlined word means?
a. Sam.
b. Talented gardener.
c. Handsome gardener.
d. Viv’s Chihuahua.
e. Sam’s Chihuahua.

This text is for questions 43 to 46
The shopping mall, like most ambitious developments in the retail business, originated in the USA. Essentially, the shopping mall is large building which contains many shops under one roof. Inside, the shopping mall looks like a small town with walk ways or streets and along these streets are the shops, cafes, and restaurant too suit every taste.
The ordinary streets, on the other hand, have only one purpose to assist shoppers to move from one shop to another in comfort. Everything in the mall is designed for one purpose only, to encourage people to buy – to shop until they drop from exhaustion.
The negative side of shopping malls is that many shoppers speed more money than they intend. The attractive side of shop windows tempt shoppers into buying something they do not really need. Shopping malls encourage what is called ‘impulse buying’ –you see a dress in an attractive shop window thinking whether or not you need another dress, you buy it on impulse. After wards you say to yourself “I don’t know why I bought that dress; I don’t even like it now!”
The answer is that couldn’t resist the temptation of the shopping mall and modern retailing techniques.
43. The text tells us about….
a. The encouragement people to buy things in a shopping mall.
b. The attractive side of shopping malls.
c. The controversy of shopping malls.
d. The disadvantages of shopping malls.
e. The comfort of shopping malls.
44. Which of the following statement is NOT TRUE according to the text?
a. The shopping mall tempts shoppers to linger around and buy things.
b. A shopping mall resembles a small town with walks’ or srteets.
c. The city streets are different from the shopping mall streets.
d. All shoppers do a lot of impulsive buying.
e. Many shoppers speed more money.
45. What is the aim of building walk ways streets inside the shopping mall?
a. To make the shoppers buy things they do not need.
b. To enable shoppers to move rom one shop to another.
c. To encourage the shoppers to spend their money.
d. To make the shoppers feel at a small town.
e. To make the shoppers until they get very tired.
46. “ The attractive shop windows tempt shoppers to ….”( par.4 )
The underlined word means…
a. attract
b. influence
c. invite
d. urge
e. ask

This text is for questions 47 to 48
HONEY MOON
Enjoy a candle light dinner in your villa
With our compliments
We believe in love and romance,
so we’re celebrating
Wedding’s Day everyday for all of February.
With our three days/ two nights “ Wedding Package”
you can enjoy the pleasure of your own private villa
with all the luxiorous of a first class hotel-and lots more
“extras” including a candle light and aspa treatment.
You’ll love it!
Package rate : RP. 4,350,000 Net
We are the Elysian HIP HOTELS
Boutique villa hotel member of design hotels
18 Jl. Sari Dewi, Seminyak, Bali 80361
Indonesia/P+62361730999/F+62361737509/E
reservation@theelysian.
Com/www.theelysian.com
47. What is the text about?
a. Invitation to attend a hotel’s program.
b. Brochure of hotel’s program.
c. Leter of offering.
d. Bussiness letter.
e. Announcement.
48. Whom is the passage for?
a. Married people.
b. Unmarried people.
c. Just married people.
d. Couples of lover.
e. People

This text is for questions 49 and 50
Dear Jenna,
49. What is the text about?
a. Mom will heat the milk and food.
b. Jenna has a lot of milk.
c. A message from mother to her daughter.
d. A message from mother to Ben
e. A daughter who will go out.
50. “Heat them if you want to eat in warm condition”.
The word “them” refers to….
a. Mom and Jenna
b. Jenna and Ben
c. milk and food
d. fresh eggs
e. hot water
Previous
Next Post »
Thanks for your comment